Wednesday, July 8, 2015

MMC #3








I hadn’t seen him since my last mission.  Let’s just say, we hadn’t ended on “friendly terms.”  Anyway, he said he wanted to see me—that he had a way of stopping García.  Being curious but not stupid, I decided to talk it over with Jim. 

“Katie.”  He said when I told him what I was planning.  He put a hand on my shoulder, forcing me to look deep into his mesmerizing eyes.  Okay, I guess you could say I have a thing for him.  “You can’t do this.  Dan’s not a good guy.” 
“I know he’s a little rough around the edges, but if he knows something about García, then I think I should at least talk to him.”
“No, it’s not that.”  He shook his head, his dark hair falling over his face, causing my heart to beat a little faster.  “I think there may be more to Dan.”
“What do you mean?”
“Well, I couldn’t tell anyone for fear of the consequences, but I think he might be in league with García.”
I gasped, leaning back in my chair.  “A-are you sure?”
He nodded and reached over to put his hand on my shoulder.  It was then I realized I was touching his arm.  We sat there, looking into each other’s eyes.  A smile played gently at his lips.  “Katie.” He moved closer and I was sure he was going to kiss me but then he backed away.
My throat felt like cotton.  I grabbed my cup of coffee, drinking it in deeply to wet my throat.  But at the bottom of the now empty cup was scrawled one sentence that changed everything.
“You’ve been poisoned.”
I looked up quickly at Jim.  He was smiling at me in a way I did not like and his lips formed to say one simple sentence—
“I am García.”

 
310 words.  I used the picture prompt.

6 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh! That was awesome!!!!! I loved reading it! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!!! I'm glad you liked it. :)

      Delete
  2. Oh my goats! That last sentence! Love love love this story.

    HP

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic work, Dear Sister! :) I am your biggest fan! {No, I'm not sure what that has to do with keeping oneself cool. Get the reference?}

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, sister, your soul lifting comments and fandom references ever cease to bring a smile to my face!

      Delete