Wednesday, July 22, 2015

I Want to be a Writer

A writer writing about writer's block.---Is it just me or is that ironic?


I've been certain for awhile now that I want to make writing my career. But that is easier said than done.  Sometimes I feel I will positively burst with new and exciting ideas that will absolutely change the world of literature.  So I grab a cup of coffee (occasionally tea if it is too late for coffee) and sit down by my laptop to begin.
BLOCK.
Whaaaatt??  Why can't I just write?  Why does there have to be rough drafts?  Why does this process have to take so long?  I just want to write but I don't want to have to put up with anything else! 
Well, I have been searching frantically for tips for beginning writers and have found many that are helpful, but there are also articles and such that always manage to confuse and depress me all the more. 
"Make sure your characters aren't like this," "27 Things you're doing Wrong."   "If you have this in your story then you are a loser and not deserving of the title "author." 
AGGGHHHH!!!!!!!!!  I thought that writing wasn't bound by rules!  I'm a failure!  I'm just going to grow up and not have a career or anything at all because I'm such a loser.  I'll end up in the back alley near a garbage dumb by a broken typewriter with the illusion that I know something about the art of writing.   
Oh, wait....Wow, girl, calm down!
I just have to remind myself that I am young and have everything to learn.  One could look at that sentence and feel overwhelmed, or they could look at it and be bursting with excitement.  Me, well, I must admit, I feel somewhere in between.  But I need to stop trying to be perfect and simply focus on writing.  Right now, I feel better when I'm simply wetting my feet everyday and writing things that are enjoyable for me to record, that's good! 
I CAN DO THIS!!!  And if you are a writer or whatever you aspire to be, YOU CAN DO THIS!!!

Anyway...if you are still here, thank you so much for reading my little rant.  I am planning on posting different tips and such I pick up throughout my journey as a writer along with some of my own writings for my future benefit mostly.

God bless and have a fantastic day!
 

4 comments:

  1. I love this because I can really relate to it! You really are a gifted writer, and I'm not just saying that from a biased perspective, but from the perspective of an avid reader of good material and my own love for writing. If it doesn't suck me in from the first sentence or paragraph, generally it won't. Your writing leaves me wondering what happens next and dying to read the rest of the story. Keep it up! God has given you a gift and I'm praying for you for direction and that you will keep the joy you have found in writing. xxxooo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I SO enjoyed reading your little rant, dearie! I totally agree with everything you say... I always have a trillion ideas until I actually sit down at my computer.
    I also agree with what your mom says... I have to be sucked in at the very beginning, or I lose interest.
    I love your writing style, your characters (even though they "sympathy eat" for my characters all the time ;)), and what I have to say to you is keep up the good work! :)
    PS - One tip that may or may not help you is listening to music that is appropriate for the mood of whatever you're writing. Because I've noticed that if I'm listening to something really cheerful when I'm writing a scene where someone's breathing their last, everything turns out crappy. :P So I listen to a huge variety of music, and add it to playlists (i.e. "Sad"), and it actually really helps me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, friend of mine!! ^_^
      Yes, exactly!
      Thank you so much!! I love reading your stories as well. Lol, "they 'sympathy eat' for your characters all the time?" What?
      That's a really good tip! I really may need to try listening to different kinds of music. It wouldn't do if I had a happy Irish tune playing in the background at the same time one of my characters falls off of a cliff. Might ruin the moment a bit. ;)

      Delete