Saturday, April 12, 2014

Poetry, Poetry, Poetry.

Hey guys!

I don't know about you, but I love poetry! 

Here are some of my favorites, I hope you enjoy them and their author's amazing creativity in composing such wonderful and descriptive writings:-)

The first is a short but meaningful poem by Emily Dickinson.

Chartless

I never saw a moor,
I never saw the sea;
Yet know I how the heather looks,
And what a wave must be.

I never spoke with God,
Nor visited in heaven;
Yet certain am I of the spot
As if the chart were given.

The next poem is by Robert Burns.

My Heart's in the Highlands

My heart's in the Highlands, my heart is not here;
My heart's in the Highlands a-chasing the deer;
Chasing the wild deer, and following the roe,
My heart's in the Highlands, wherever I go.
Farewell to the Highlands, farewell to the North,
The birthplace of valour, the country of worth;
Wherever I wander ,wherever I rove,
The hills of the Highlands for ever I love.

Farewell to the mountains high cover'd with snow;
Farwell to the straths and green valleys below;
Farwell to the forests and wild-hanging woods;
Farewell to the torrents and loud-pouring floods.
My heart's in the Highlands, my heart is not here;
My heart's in the Highlands a-chasing the deer;
Chasing the wild deer, and following the roe,
My heart's in the Highlands, wherever I go.

This creative and adventurous poem is by Edward Rowland Sill.

Opportunity

This I beheld, or dreamed it in a dream:-
There spread a cloud of dust along a plain;
And underneath the cloud, or in it, raged
A furious battle, and men yelled ,and swords
Shocked upon swords and shields.  A prince's banner
Wavered, then Staggered backward, hemmed by the foes.
A craven hung along the battle's edge,
And thought, "Had I a sword of keener steel-
That blue blade that the king's son bears,-but this
Blunt thing-!"  He snapped and flung it from his hand,
And lowering crept away and left the field.

Then came the king's son, wounded, sore bestead,
And weaponless, and saw the broken sword,
Hilt-buried in the dry and trodden sand,
And ran and snatched it, and with battle-shout
Lifted afresh he hewed his enemy down,
And saved a great cause that heroic day.

Here is three.  Come back later and I will post more!:-)

Have a GREAT day!


 

2 comments:

  1. I love the look of your blog and I love that YOU love poetry! Beautiful post, sweetie. <3 Mom

    ReplyDelete